Question
Posted by: Zaza | 2007/08/03

trying to fall pregnant

My name is Zaza, im 27 yrs of age. I've been trying to fall pregnant in the past 10 months.i had an ectopic in August last year and my left tube was removed.i just want advice if there are other ways of increasing the chances of falling pregnant.

thank you

Dear Zaza

It is extremely important to know the status of the remaining tube, as it is often the case that the cause of an ectopic pregnancy in most cases is secondary to some form of tubal damage, either due to infection or endometriosis.
Since both tubes are often equally affected, the likelihood of another ectopic pregnancy occurring is significantly increased. Furthermore, the possibility of pregnancy is most likely to occur when ovulation is taking place from the right side since this is the side where presumably the tube is not only intact, but is fully patent. Therefore to increase the possibilities of ovulation occurring frequently from the right side, I suggest ovulation induction using simple methods such as clomiphene citrate (clomid, fertimed, serophene etc). This should be coupled with ovulation monitoring using urinary LH testing kits and timed intercourse. Should three such cycles fail then further investigation would be highly recommended.