Question
Posted by: Susan | 2008/01/18

Trying to conceive

My husband is a type 1 diabetic, he was diagnosed 20 years ago. He does maintain his blood glucose levels very well, he follows a healthy eating plan and exercises regularly and does not smoke or use drugs or alcohol.

We have a 2 year old son.

We are trying to conceive another child but for the past 3 months my husband has been suffering from anejaculation. The problem is that by the time I am ovulating he can usually not ejaculate as it seems he can sometimes but then for a week or two after that not at all. The amount that is being ejaculated is also very little into comparison of what it was. This is a great concern as it is putting a tremendous amount of stress on us trying to conceive. He also seems to struggle to maintain an erection sometimes. Sometimes he can not get a full erection at all.

Could this be an effect of his diabetis? Is there any hope for us in conceiving a child, which route should we follow?

Dear Susan

This certainly sounds like the erectile dysfunction typical of diabetics. I would suggest that he visits a urologist to see whether there is any place for drugs such as viagra or equivalent to be used at around the times of ovulation. In addition, other methods such as electro-stimulation of ejaculation maybe considered coupled with intra uterine insemination. Finally, if all the other methods are not successful you should consider in vitro fertilisation / ICSI since only a very small quantity of sperm is then required

1
Posted by: BOKKA | 2008/05/08

EK SAL GRAAG WIL WEET KAN EK NADAT MY BUISE GEKNIP IS, VIR 'N INPLANTING GAAN OM WEER SWANGER TE RAAK

Reply to BOKKA