Posted by: desperate parent | 2009/08/20

troubled teen

Hi Cyberdoc
I posted to you a while ago some info on our troubled teen daughter who has bene involved in distructive behanviour. she was diagnosed by a psychiatrist with bipolar and also with bulimia. she is now on medication but it has not stopped her rude and agressive behavior towards me and her father. she is now becomng violent towards us and continues to disrupt our family life. we feel as though we are being held prisoner by her behaviour. she spent three weeks in Crescent Clinic in Johannesburg for which we paid a hefty financial cost. we ar enow at our wits end as this behaviour is esccalating rather than changing for the better.she is unremorseful of her attitude and we have tried all we can. it is difficult to admit that one' s child is causing pain in the family but we are out of ideas and do not know how to help her any longer. she has also been cutting herself. i am now looking for schools for troubled teens but while I can find many in America there seems to be no literature on any facilities in SA besides Boys and Girls Town and this does not seem like the best option. have you any suggestions please? we are hanging on a thread. thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I don't know what Crescent Clinic will have done with her. She sounds as though she needs counselling / therapy, with specific sessions for you and your husband to plan how to deal wih her viiolent and disruptive behavior.
Maybe se a psychologist yourselves, to discuss and plan ways of dealing with the girl's awful behaviour. I don't know of the sort of facility you are looking for --- maybe if you cal Child Welfare they might know of somewhere ? This is one of many rtypes of facility wih which we are badly supplied here in SA

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.