Posted by: FM | 2008/07/31

Trombosis &  Torn Ligament

Dear Doc,

I' ve previously had Trombosis and was put on Warfin &  Disprin, and go for my blood tests every month and there was nothing wrong with it.

Then my leg got very sore about 5weeks ago and when i went to the GP he said that I had Thrombosis again. Three days later it was feeling worse instead of better and there was a burst vein in the bend of my knee with an obvious large black bruise.

Went back to the doc, who then said it looks like a torn ligament as well. So i was off my feet since then and coped on painkillers, remaining in bed &  leg elavated for 3 weeks and then slowly started becoming more mobile on crutches etc.

I am now more or less ok with little strength in my knee - I am 64.

My questions:

1. Why did i get thrombosis again, is that what it was? Does the diagnosis sound correct?
2. What can i do know to stregthen the knee and to prevent a reaccurence of both

Dear FM
You should have had a D-Dimer blood test and a sonar of the leg to confirm thrombosis. It is just strange that you would have a torn ligament if you are not aware of an injury or overexertion of the leg?
To strenghten the knee you can go to a physiotherapist.
You need to have your coagulation factors, d-dimer and platelets tested as this will determine if you need to take preventative medication.