Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/08/23

Triggers

Hi CS. Shrink no3 says I must look for triggers. Problem is I cant find triggers. I wake up some mornings feeling flat and as if my brain is jumbled from very confusing mixed up dreams. Sometimes I remember bad weird dreams that stay with me all day. Can a dream be a trigger? Sounds like a silly question but if it is a trigger I dont know how to control it. The only other thing I can find and also dont know if it can be classed as a trigger is symmetry. If i am sitting in room and chairs, carpets, pictures, even the ruffle at the top of the curtains are not even and symmetric I could go a bit mad wanting to correct the faults (you would be surprised to know how skew rooms and buildings are built) but can these things be triggers for depression? Other than these things I really dont know what to look for, I just go flat for no reason. Any advice CS?

One can control or at least influence dream content more than most people realize, and a dream might not specifically be a trigger in itself but may suggest a trigger. Now, the issue about wanting symmetry is interesting, and may represent a larger issue about expecting indeed demanding balance and fairness and symmetry in other as[ects of life, as well, and feeling frustrated when things go skew and unbalanced, physically or psychologically.
Don't start blaming yourself if no triggers come to mind. Sometimes they're obvious, sometimes they're not. Work with your shrink to explore this. And sometimes, its useful not to specifically go trigger-hunting, but to produce for yourself a brief summary of all events and reactions for a few days before any major depressive episode started, for a few episodes, to see if any pattern becomes apparent