Question
Posted by: Ann | 2003/02/17

Trigeminal Neuralgia

My Father,50, suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia since he was 47. He had an operation three months ago, but his condition has in fact worsened. He takes up to six tablets per day for pain(tegretol 400 mg) but gets no relief. Can you tell me what cause this disease and is there any other treatment

Ann, trigeminal neuralgia basically means that pain due to a problem with the trigeminal nerve. This may be due to infections (past and present), pressure on the nerve, damage of the nerve, inflammation, etc. The best would be for him to see a neurologist and hopefully have it sorted out.
PS. Trigeminal neuralgia is a difficult thing to treat and Tegretol® is the treatment of choice. Good luck.