Question
Posted by: Nosi | 2007/03/14

tried everything, nothing works

I'm a young lady 23, short (1.4) and overweight (65kg). I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I was born chubby, just like my dad. Is it possible that this is the cause of me finding it difficult to lose weight?

Dear Nosi
Genetics does play an important role in overweight and it is well known that children of overweight parents often also suffer from obesity. Your present BMI = 33,2, which is in the obese range. To get back into the normal range you would need to weigh 49 kg, thus a loss of 16 kg. This a lot of weight to lose and as you say that most approaches don't seem to work, I would recommend that you discuss the use of Xenical with your medical doctor. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed for your condition, seeing that the overweight is a direct threat to your health. Once you start losing weight and get more mobile you can start doing regular aerobic exercise like going for a brisk walk for 30 or more minutes a day.