Question
Posted by: Need to know | 2008/05/27

Trichotillomania

I have been suffering from it since I was 10. I have about 30% of my hair left and the rest is just bald like it was shaven. I'm starting to embarrass my son. Is there a cure? I've been for countless sessions with psychologists since I was 13 and I can't stop. Can you please refer me to a psychologist that has had a success rate with people like me and not just someone who knows what it is and will try and council me through it. I really need someone who has worked with this before and has cured his patient. Please I am tired of being different and hideous.

I cant and dont make specific referrals here. OK, what you're describing sounds obviously like trichitillomania, and remember it's not that you CAN'T stop, but that you haven't stopped YET. There is no way for me to know which psychologists have worked with this problem , or what their success rate is --- no such records are kept. But I would expect that any competent psychologist using tried CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) methods, ought to be able to help. You can in that way learn how to control this bad habit, and not only recover your normal hair, but find other ways to occupy and enjoy yourself

3
Posted by: Min | 2008/06/08

Hi, do you perhaps know where one can find a support group in Jhb? Even an online one would be helpful.

Reply to Min
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/27

what is trichotillomania?

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Leesha | 2008/05/27

Your posting broke my heart! I'm sure Cybershrink will be able to help you. good luck

Reply to Leesha