Question
Posted by: blossom | 2007/08/01

tretinoin cream and anti-ageing

hi, i am 50 years old and suffered with acne in my youth. i am using tretinoin a cream at night. i have had some redness and peeling mainly around my mouth area. i know use it every 2nd night. how effective is this cream for getting rid of scars and wrinkles or am i wasting my time??

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Blossom, thank you for the question.
Tretinoin has been shown to be beneficial in helping to smooth out fine lines and mild scarring. However, to achieve any results one needs to use the cream on a daily basis (applied at night) and improvements are only noticed long term. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are experiencing side effects to the cream and one may have to consider other options. These include topical products that contain AHA’s, glycolic acid peels, skin rejuvenation (IPL/Bipolar Radiofrequency) and possibly even laser.