Question
Posted by: Angela | 2008/01/11

Trepiline for headache prevention

hi
My dr prescriped trepiline for headache prevention as I get chronic headaches and have been taking ibuprofen. I take 10mg tablet before I go to bed. It have taken it for about 3 months or so and has been very helpful in preventing headaches. However, I have stopped taking it as I have found recently I battle to wake up in the morning and feel groggy the whole day. My headaches have returned and I am having more of them recently which I then take more painkillers. its really weird because it was no problem when I first started taking trepiline and didn't feel sleepy at all. I don't want to take painkillers all the time due to risk of rebound headaches. Are there any other preventatives that can be taken instead of trepiline?

Angela.

Dear Angela

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

In the acute phase, you can use Tramadol (only on prescription). You can substitute with SSRI's, namely Fluoxetine, which is also prescription medication. This should not cause sleepiness or drowsiness during the day and will help for the pain, as a substitue to the Trepilene.

Kind regards

9
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/29

I take 10mg daily - also for stress headaches & I struggle to wake up.

Posted by: ytfFjlBXRjNHPa | 2008/05/17

89LP0Q

Reply to ytfFjlBXRjNHPa
Posted by: Poisenivy | 2008/04/28

If i dont take purbloka in the mornings then i feel a little bit funny. And my head is spinning. Is this normal?

Poisenivy

Reply to Poisenivy
Posted by: Alma | 2008/04/16

Ek kry Migraines al my hele lewe lank. Ek was vir 'n jaar en 'n half op Trepiline 25mg en Purbloka, maar dit het niks gehelp nie. My huisdokter het dit gestaak. Sederdien kry ek nogsteeds migraine en soms so erg dat ek morphine gespuit moet word. Tans is ek weer op Trepiline 25mg en Purbloka onder die toesig van 'n internis. Die Trepiline maak my baie moeg en ek is heeldag vaak!

Reply to Alma | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Aldiana | 2013/09/04

Hi Alma. Ek is tans op Pur-bloka en die dr wil nou Trepiline voorskryf. Ek sien dit het nie regtig vir jou gewerk nie. Het jy dalk al iets anders begin gebruik wat jy kan aanbeveel? Vriendelike Groete, Aldiana

Posted by: Jill | 2008/02/22

My doctor told me to take trepiline at least 12 hours before I need to wake up in the morning. ie. if you wake up at 6am, take it in the late afternoon.

We will see if this works. I only started taking it yesterday and i must say I'm a bit doff today and my eyes are a bit blurry. Hopefully this will go away with time.

Reply to Jill
Posted by: A.E. | 2008/01/11

I also used trepiline 18 years ago because I had after birth depression with my daughter,so my doctor prescribe it for me and I also felt groggy in the morning.But it takes up to an week for your body to get used to it.Nevetheless I did stop taking them because of grogginess and a sleepy feeling all morning.

Reply to A.E.
Posted by: Angela | 2008/01/11

Thanks so much for your input,
did you ever feel like you couldn't wake up in the morning while on Trepiline?

Reply to Angela
Posted by: Lou | 2008/01/11

I had the same problem, was on trepilene for 3 years to prevent Migraine's. It worked very well, but I went off it as I was concerned that I was addicted to it. It turned out that I wasn't at all, and the migraines returned with a huge vengeance! i went to my doc, and she has prescribed an anti epileptic drug which I take every night. Seems to be working well (only been 5 days), although it is more expensive than trepilene.
All told, I think trepilene is a wonderful medication that works well with little or no side effects.

Reply to Lou