Question
Posted by: SIRIUS | 2004/01/23

TREMOR IN BACK LEG

I have a three year old staffie bitch which has neither been spayed nor had puppies. She is in excellent condition but has recently started showing a sporadic favouring of her back right leg especially when getting up after lying down. It almost appears that she has pins and needles in the leg for a short while (1-2 minutes) which makes walking on it briefly uncomfortable. This seems to disappear and when distracted by events around her (being fed, playing with the children, taken for a walk, etc) the leg is totally normal and shows no sign of weakness. I have noticed a slight tremor in this leg from time to time but nothing definite and continuous. She has not suffered any injuries to date.

I'd appreciate your possible diagnosis.

SIRIUS

I can obviously only guess, however injury to the ligaments of especially the knee should certainly be considered as a possible cause. If the ligaments were simply injured, it may recover, however if they were torn, surgery will be necessary. The tremor may be a sign of discomfort. Some dogs though, may have a tremor which may be considered normal. Certain breeds are more prone, like Staffies and Jack Russell terriers. An examination your veterinarian may prove more fruitful than my guessing!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town