Question
Posted by: Cooley's anemia | 2002/12/05

Treatment info for Beta-Thalassemia

Dear Doc.
I have a good friend who is diagnosed with Beta-thalassemia. It is a desease of wich I know very little. From what it sounds like, from her, this is a death sentence. As she is of a poorer comunity I have taken it on myself to find out as much as I can about the desease and also the cure, if any, or changes she needs to make in her lifestyle in order that she may ease this burden. It seams that the doctor she is seeing has not been too helpful so far and with more information in hand perhaps she could get more out of her doctor. She is in her late twenties and only now has her doctor told her of this. If you know of any doctors in the western cape that might now more about this desease please let me know.

I send this with much thanx to you and your team for being there, and await your reply

Yours faithfully

T. Karth

T, she probably has â-thalassaemia minor. â-thalassaemia major is a serious disease and very few make it to adulthood (although Cooley’s anaemia = â-thalassaemia major). The best would be to see a haematologist about the disease, but if you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za, I’ll cut and paste you something on thalassaemia. Good luck.