Question
Posted by: splintered | 2007/04/18

Treating Shin Splints?

Hi Doc,

I currently have a wonderul shin splint :o\
I am getting conflicting advice from everyone & would like to know the correct way to treat it?
Some people say no massage, hot compress, anti-inflammatary, bandage & lots of rest... others say cold compress, lots of massage or seeing a physio & rest, no bandadge..
I hear that the massage is to prevent any scar tissue building up. Is this true?
I have had it massaged twice and almost punched the guy it was so paintful! I also have bruises that change colour everyday... is this normal?
..and the last question, is acupuncture worth a try?

Thanx Doc...

Expert ImageArchive

Hi splintered

Don't punch the physio. your hand will hurt and you may get sued. And he's only doing his job.
Shin splints can be from various causes but it is important to exclude fractures/stress fractures. If the pain has been there a couple of months get one .

Dr P