Question
Posted by: annon | 2008/06/03

treating anxiety without medication

hi

what are the options available to treating anxiety without medication? other than therapy are there any safe suppliments that can help reduce anxiety?

annon

Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, works a treat, and there's a load of good research that confirms that. NO supplements of any type whatever are of the remotest value in treating anxiety --- that's sheer quackery. ANd both ineffective "supplements" and medication are chemicals not usually present in your body, which someone makes a profit by selling you --- why do you distinguish between them ?

4
Posted by: sick | 2008/06/04

I have been having this problem I was diagnosed with depression, and i am on sleeping tablets. The problem is that I think I am suffering from some kind of nerve problem, I would like to know how or who do i see to be diagnosed. I have this problem where I become anxious and my body especially my legs start shaking. I start hating being around people. Please Help Me

Reply to sick
Posted by: Been there | 2008/06/04

The doc said there are 2 ways - pastoral and medical. I took pastoral and am completely cured.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Another Anxiety Sufferer | 2008/06/04

My five cents..... I tried all sorts of over the counter 'goodies' for years, or just struggled on because 'this is something that I can handle myself'! What a load of beloany. After years of hassling with a fairly low 'quality of life' I looked for some serious help. Tests found that I was in fact Bi-Polar 2 with major anxiety problems. These days, with correct medication, my anxiety is controlled - I can feel when an attack is coming on, and take the medication immediately, instead of waiting till the set time, when I'm already bombed out!
There is nothing that works 'over the counter' for long term anxiety. If you are a similar sufferer - do yourself a fat favour, and get some help from your doctor. Cheers
.

Reply to Another Anxiety Sufferer
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/06/03

go to the pharmacy and ask a sales lady there what works best. thats what i did once. they normally know what works best and they will recomend sumthing that suits you. you will be surprised at how many people go in and ask for this sort of suppliments. dont feel shy to ask.

Reply to almost mad