Posted by: Used employee. | 2010/07/02

Treated unfairly, answers needed PLEASE.


I have been working for the chinese embassy for 8 years, my starting salary was R4000.00 and after 3 probation it was increased to R4500.00, since then my current salary is R6000.00 no benefits whatsoever.
They have helped me to loan some money, owe them 13000.00, I am paying off, R500 deduction from my salary, and get time off if ill or need to go to doctor, but I cant get loan else where to purchase a car, which I lost in a bad divorce, I have to buy my own tea, coffee, sugar and milk for work, sometimes there is a shortage of loo paper, they say they give to much, I buy my own sometimes.
I came to work for them for less money and no benefits, I was thinking the grass was greener to work for them but I made a huge mistake, I think.
My mom who immigrated to SA, NO PROPER ENGLISH AND NO AFRIKAANS, my sister and I were born here in SA, my mom was a house wife for 30 years and divorced and the age of 52 she got a job, working for her company for 9 years now, her starting salary was 2200.00 and now is 13000.00, just look at that, what is wrong in my case, the embassy still tells me I earn to much. What can I do cause I feel this is not on, I go out my way to help them even on standby. SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE AND WHAT CAN I DO and what are my rights against an Embassy, there must be some law to abide to this. PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE ME WHAT TO DO
I am a single mom of two children, I have alot to pay and cannot live on this.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


Unfortunately working in an Embassy creates a real problem in that Embassies do not fall under the South African legislation.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/08

You should probably start looking for another job.

You agreed to work at that salary for them with no benefits.
A company doesn''t have to provide tea and coffee for you during the day, though access to clean water to drink is probably a must.
they should be providing toilet paper, though that isn''t spelt out in law as far as I know, it shouldn''t have to be, it is employees dignity after all.

Why don''t you visit some employment agencies and look in the newspaper and on the internet for other opportunities to apply for, then when you have found something better you can resign.

Reply to Purple

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.