Posted by: Sally | 2008/01/31

Treadmill & Exercise bike

Every day I run/walk 45 to 60 minutes on my treadmill ... uphill, slower, faster ect but I want to do some cross-training and want to buy myself an indoor exercise bicycle. Do you think this is 'n good idea and how long do you think I have to cycle during each session. Should I run/walk the one day and cycle the next? Please give me some advise. What clothing do I need ... special pants ext. Do you have any cycling programmes? Thanks!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Sally

I think it's great, any variety is good for you. Obviously, you take the chance that the equipment you buy will be under-utilized, but that's really up to you. I think think you can probably, for now, get away with an almost direct swop of your running to your cycling sessions. That is, you could do the same on the bike as yo do on the run. Given that you're probably fairly running fit, the cycling won't really pose too much of challenge for you - you may find that it takes a while to get your rhythm and find your legs, but you'll recover pretty fast from one day to the next - much faster than for running. So you could, in theory, get away with 2 or 3 cycles in a row. But then that's up to you as well - it's a luxury that you can afford. Therefore, you can pretty much plan it depending on how much you enjoy the riding. if you do, then why not do 4 rides a week? If not, and you feel like running,t hen go for that! The beauty of having choice, of course, is that you always have another option and so in theory, shouldn't have an excuse!

As for equipment, you could get cycling pants if you would like, but I don't think it's a necessity -nice to have, not a prerequisite. And other than that, not much else. In terms of a cycling programme, check out the Fitness page of the site, click on "programmes" and then take your pick!

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.