Question
Posted by: vernon | 2004/11/23

treadmill

I AM 62 tears and do 30mins on a health walker every mon wed fri and do 170 srides a min but feel that this is not giving me the
fitness that i need. I have a blood pressure of ave 179/76 and take accupuril 10mg . I want to buy the trojan evolution programmable treadmill to try and increase my general fitnessand stamina and also weightloss do you have any suggestions ,I do not like road walking abd am very disciplined in my exercise routine ,can you offer any suggestions

Hi Vernon

I think that the key word is discipline, and you sound as though you are the type of person who will be able to put the machine to good use, and then in this case, it's a good buy. The problem that I often have with home exercise is that it is a passing phase, and because it makes exercise so convenient, my experience is that people often tend to use a machine for 2 weeks, then lose interest and it goes like this in cycles.

However, if you are disciplined, then there is no reason why you cannot benefit enormously from a treadmill, so I say go for it.

The tricky part will be starting out. I tend to agree with you that walking and running will add to your fitness more than the healthwalker. However, the big difference is the impact during walking. For this reason, the very important thing is to start out very gradually.

I would suggest you check out the following site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that. After a couple of weeks, you might find that this is very easy, and then by all means, jump ahead a few weeks and walk more, but to start with, rather err on the side of caution.