Question
Posted by: iris | 2004/09/27

treadmill

hi
is it better to walk really really fast on the treadmill or just fast (not to fast) and how long should i walk for? I don't want to build any muscles, especially calve muscles as mine are already big.

HI Iris

There comes a point where it is easier to run, and I reckon that if you are walking progressively faster, there will be a point at which walking is actually uncomfortable. If you are set on walking, then I would say you should aim to walk at this sort of speed, just before it becomes difficult. Otherwise, no harm in jogging very lightly, or even alternating between the two. Provided you can do regular sessions lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, you are doing the right sort of intensity.

Hope this helps