Question
Posted by: Kim | 2007/12/13

Travelling with Cat

We are taking our 6month old cat on a 12 hour car drive. (We are relocating). She will be booked into a cattery on the other side for about two weeks until we can move into the house.
How can I make this a less stressful time for her? I have explored all other options and have no other solution than the one planned. Animal movers are way too expensive.
Help.
PS : This is the first cat I have owned, so have no idea what to expect...

Install a Feliway Vapourizer in your home before you leave (about 3 weeks) to get the cat relaxed and then spray some Feliway spray in your car to help relax the cat during the journey. Please make sure the cat doe snot get too hot and that you feed, water and toilet the cat regularly en route. Install the Feliway Vapourizer in your new home and keep iot going until the cat has settled in completely. Go well!

2
Posted by: Lana | 2007/12/18

Hi there,

I Transported my cat From Gauteng to Cape town about 2 years ago.I took him to the vet before hand and got advice from her.
She gave me "sleeping tablets" for him for the trip wich I gave to him 3 hours prior to the trip.

It did not work though until we where in Bloemfontein....
He was not himself I battled a lot with him.

But once the pills started working there was no problem he woke up at every stop had some water but did not want to eat though....

I would advice you to do the same they can he a handfull on such a long trip. Just make sure he is at all times out of the sun when it is hot and when it is cold make sutre he has a blanket.

Also in your new home leave out some clothes you have worn but not washed say in the bedroom where he will be sleeping. he will get the smell of you and be more relaxed in hes new home....

Hope it helps and have a safe trip.

Reply to Lana
Posted by: Lori | 2007/12/13

Hi Kim,

I took my cat on an 8 hour trip, 2 months ago. Kitty was 4months then. We had no problems. Luckily for us, we have a Zafira, so there was plenty of space at the back. We just put a little litter box for him, and food and water. We also let him run around, at stops. I have a 4 yr old. He just slept on her lap, whilst she sat in her car seat. We had no problems, except he wanted to sit by the windows, & there was no place for him to sit. I guess that's how he ended up sitting on my daughter, so he could look out the window.

This is my first cat as well.

Reply to Lori