Question

Travel pay - included in basic salary?

I work in a client service position and travel to clients on a regular basis. When I queried reimbursement for fuel for company related travel I was told that travelling is considered part of my job function and the cost is included in my salary. This was never specified in my contract except that my salary is cost to company which I took to mean medical aid, provident fund etc. No travel allowance was ever specified. In some cases I have travelled up to 180kms to a client four times in one month and with the rising cost of fuel I basically take a salary cut each month. Is this legal?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Normally companies allow a reimbursement for fuel that is expended during the course of employment. It cannot be expected of an employee to keep paying for their own fuel costs. This is the same with expectation of management with regard to the making of cellphone calls. It is suggested that you raise a grievance immediately.

MICHAEL BAGRAIM

1
Posted by: Calibre | 2007/05/06

Oops - this should have been explained well be the company when they offered you the job and/or when you were inducted. It is completely unrealistic of a company to expect an employee to carry out business at the company's expense without reimbursing him/her in some form or at the very least at the AA rates. When you don't have money for fuel and/or when your car is in for repairs how can you carry out your duties for the company? There is nothing specified in law that I'm aware of, but it is an insane company decision not to reimburse you for travel - so my recommendation is that you don't travel!

Reply to Calibre