Posted by: Thailand | 2009/09/15

Travel Insurance

My wife and I are travelling to Thailand from 27 September to 12 October. Flightcentre handled our bookings. I please need some advice on Travel Insurance. I still need to take out insurance and want to know where to go, and what is best. Advice will be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTravel expert

Travel insurance can be bought from a broker, very often the travel agent selling your ticket, sometimes the bank financing your travel expenses. The Travel Doctor takes a holistic view of travel health risk management and can provide a range of travel medical insurance packages for short and or long term travellers. You can contact The Travel Doctor on 011 214 9030 for customised travel insurance., alternatively:
The majority of the major credit cards in South Africa provide basic travel insurance if you pay for your ticket with the card. Note that the automatic cover may be very limited and that the level of cover afforded differs from card to card and bank to bank. Always make sure exactly what you get and if not enough, pay the added premium to increase cover.
Short term insurance, e.g. household insurance sometimes provides an element of medical insurance for travellers. This is usually limited to cover for domestic travel but may also cover neighbouring states.
Two or three of the new generation medical aids in South Africa include a travel medical insurance benefit for domestic as well as international travel. It is important to ascertain beforehand what they will cover, to what level and who to contact in the event of an emergency abroad.
Companies who employ large numbers of expatriates in overseas posts may arrange group medical cover. This may cover the employee in the host country only, home and host country and also when travelling in a third country on business or holiday - but not always, and the prudent expatriate will ascertain what cover he has before setting off on holiday outside of home and host country.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.