Question
Posted by: Doggylover | 2004/09/21

Travel

My one year old daschund sometimes gets sick (vomitting) when travelling by car. He is used to travel short distances. We plan to travel a long distance soon. How can I make travelling more comfortable for him. He likes to look outside the window when in the car

Many dogs get carsick just thinking about travelling in a car. They therefore associated car was getting sick and start vomiting when it starts moving. However, it sounds like your dog days travel often, but only occasionally vomits. This is a patient that may possibly respond to the use of antinausea treatment, like metocloperamide. Speak to your veterinarian about the correct dosage for your dog, based on the body weight.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town