Question
Posted by: jcat | 2007/02/28

Traumeel

Hi CS,

- given that this is taken from the manufacturers site, I guess a pinch of salt could be thrown in as well, but it really does work. And seeing as we use it on birds and animals where there is absolutely no placebo effect, I can vouch for good results.

"Although the scientific support behind some forms of complementary medicine is sparse, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials have been published in reputable peer-reviewed journals (e.g. The Lancet, Pediatrics, British Medical Journal) which scientifically support the clinical effectiveness of homeopathy in general, and Heel/BHI products in particular.

All of the Heel Inc. products are formulated according to a concept called homotoxicology; a bridge between classical homeopathy and conventional pharmacology. In general, Heel Inc. products are combination formulations which contain measurable amounts of active ingredients and are used to treat specific indications. In other words, homotoxicological products are easy to use and understand for a health care practitioners trained within the conventional medical paradigm as well as those trained in nonconventional medicine.

A good example of this is TRAUMEEL®, an effective NSAID without side effects. Refer to page 1237 of the 1997 Physician's Desk Reference and page 1187 of 1998 PDR.

TRAUMEEL® is an anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-edematous, anti-exudative combination formulation of 12 botanical and 2 mineral substances. TRAUMEEL® is officially classified as a homeopathic combination remedy. It is indicated for the temporary relief of symptoms associated with inflammatory, exudative, and degenerative processes due to acute trauma (such as contusions, lacerations, fractures, sprains, post-operative wounds, etc.), repetitive or overuse injuries (such as tendinitis, bursitis, epicondylitis, etc.), and for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains associated with such conditions. TRAUMEEL® is also indicated for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains associated with backache, muscular aches, and the minor pain from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gouty arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis.

As with many pharmaceuticals including the conventional NSAIDs, the exact mechanism of action of TRAUMEEL® is not fully understood. However, it appears to be the result of modulation of the release of oxygen radicals from activated neutrophils, and inhibition of the release of inflammatory mediators (possibly interleukin 1 from activated macrophages) and neuropeptides.

Due in part to its lack of side effects, TRAUMEEL® is not a conventional NSAID. However, despite its status as a nonconventional pharmaceutical, the clinical effectiveness of TRAUMEEL® is supported by scientific research and over 30 years of worldwide usage. For example, a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of TRAUMEEL® Ointment for the treatment of ankle sprains by Zell, et al, was published in Biological Therapy. The patients treated with TRAUMEEL® were pain free and had a greater range of motion sooner than the control group. Furthermore, the methodological quality of the Zell study in Biological Therapy was verified in a meta-analysis by Kleijnen,et al, in the peer-reviewed scientific publication, the British Medical Journal. Of 107 homeopathic studies reviewed by Kleijnen, et al, the Zell study of TRAUMEEL® ranked within the top 5% for methodological quality. More recently, the September issue of The Lancet published a meta-analysis of homeopathic studies in which three different controlled studies demonstrated the effectiveness of Traumeel® over placebo.

TRAUMEEL® can be used to treat elderly arthritic patients who cannot tolerate the GI side effects associated with the conventional NSAIDs or for patients on anticoagulant medication. TRAUMEEL® is available as a topical ointment, as oral tablets, oral drops, oral liquid in vials, and as an injectable (prescription only)."

From www nutritiondynamics com

Most pharmacies stock it, but otherwise any homeopathic/health type shop would have it. We generally use the tablets, but the ointment might be more effective for you.
Regards,
j

Thanks jcat. I'd throw in a pinch of salt, but that's not supposed to be good for our Blood Pressure ! "}
I'll hunt for it next week, and report back

1
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/01

You make me want to go get a back-rub, Jcat! Why don't these things come with a masseuse? But I think I will try it.

Reply to RMC