Posted by: AX I DENT | 2008/11/07

Traumatized after accident

I was involved in an accident where a friend of long standing was killed. The accident - because of the visual horrors, has left me with continious flash backs. I was unharmed physicaly.
I am in the process of seeking proffessional help. It has been recommended that I be admitted to a institution for evaluation and subsequent medication and or assistance with the problem.
Would you recommend this course of events?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

If you have been able to live independently so far, I am very puzzled about why they would want to admit you to hospital just to make a diagnosis. Usually, the diagnosis of PTSD or other trauma-related disorders is clear, and I hacve never heard of needing to admit anyone to hospital in order to make a diagnosis --- over the years I have dealt with some people seriously affected by trauma, and have never needed to admit them for evaluation in order to make a diagnosis. I was one of the first shrinks anywhere who recognized that medication such as the modern antidepressants can be helpful in PTSD --- but again, never needed to admit anyone to start such treatment, not psychotherapy which can also be helpful.
In you place, I'd be inclined to see a second opinion, and a proper explanation of why an admission is recommended, rather than doing whatever is needed as an outpatient

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Flyer | 2008/11/10

dear friend. i also lost a good friend in an accident a while back and personally does not have many physical scares either. The scares came to me in mentall form and i was diagnosed with PTSD. Like cybershrink, I am amazed that you have been recommended for intense evaluation. It is a rather senstive matter and you would like it to be treated as such and NOT be seen as mentally unstable (if i may add) In my case, i needed to talk to someone who could help me fix the puzzle that was missing a few pieces. I am sure a second opinion is going to do you a world of good. I also read plenty of the stories on this site and it helps me to. Best of Luck !!

Reply to Flyer
Posted by: AX I DENT | 2008/11/10

Thank you for your response. Your response confirms my thoughts on the matter. That was the reason for submitting the question. As all members of medical aids are aware, about this time of the year most do not have funds available for this kind of treatment in Doctors rooms etc. Had I been admitted I would receive treatment and medication under the Chronic management benefit available to me. I consider myself a shareholder in most organisations/service providers that I contribute to and do not want to " use"  the system to my advantage. Could you perhaps point me towards an individual or organisation that could assist me and not first ask what funds are at my disposal.

Reply to AX I DENT

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.