Question
Posted by: sara | 2004/02/24

trauma therapy... again

doc

sorry to bother u again...

if I dont really want to go to therapy will it still work if i go?

u see i dont think i need help.. well not therapy and anti deppresant help.... im only doing it for my fiance who seems very upset....

he came into the house last night and i didnt hear him come in and when i turned around he was standing there and even tho i could see it was him i still screamed... it scared me quite badly and i ended up in tears

i think he thinks im going crazy

Dear sara,
No therapy works unless you want it to work and participate sincerely and enthusiastically in it. Maybe surgery, which can remove an ulcer in someone unconscious, and potentially even uninterested in having surgery, could produce some results ---but even there, Informed Consent is required by law. So if you really are sure you don't need therapy, and don't want it, it could not work.
What is more intriguing, though, is that although you describe yourself as being disturbed, with these episodes of "hysterics" and screaming, and tearfulness, which you seem to agree are unusual and excessive as responses to what's currently going on in your life, and being very jumpy, etc., you still seem convinced that there is no need for therapy. And you suely can understand why any guy, however nice and loving, ought to be worried about a gf who keeps breaking out into peals of screaming ( gee, if that didn't bother him at all, what sort of an uncaring twerp he'd have to be !).
Maybe you could consider, setting aside the "therapists" you have seen so far, who clearly have made no favourable impact on you and would therefore hardly be worth consulting aain, seeing a good experienced, senior psychiatrist for a proper assessment of your current state, and advice on whether any diagnosis is appropriate, and what treament options are proposed. Then you'd be in a better position to decide whether you find that advice convincing or at least persuasive, and what to choose to do about it.