Question
Posted by: sara | 2004/02/25

trauma therapy

dont u think that by calling the police and finding out that im going to scare myself even worse....

im shaking.. im not sure i want to know if it is them or not..... surely they couldnt find me.. i have an unlisted number and we moved house after it happened..

Sara, I know what you mean, but the unknown is always more frightening than the known, however awful it may be, and much harder to cope with. FOr instance, if he has NOT escaped and is still in custody, you can relax. If he has escaped, then they have a duty to help to protect you, which would put you in a better position than you're in now. It is highly unlikely that they would want to find you ( what's the real benefit to them of doing so ? ) and even less likely that they COULD find you if they wantd to. You may be far safer than you think, but only the facts could reassure you. And if there is a problem, only by knowing its exact nature and extent, can anyone plan to cope with it. And do see someone for counselling, to give you the support you deserve at a time like this.

2
Posted by: Sara | 2004/02/26

they shot at me but luckily they didnt hit... one man did actually stumble and shoot himself in the groin tho Ha ha ha

thank you for ur concern but im sure i will be fine. I may start going back to therapy again

Reply to Sara
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/02/25

Dear Sara,

I've read a couple of your emails to Doc and really feel for you. I went through a very traumatic event in October last year when I woke up to find two guys crouched down next to my bed. I sat bolt upright screaming and think I gave them the fright of their lives. They ran off (thank goodness and only got away with some valuables). One even threatened to shoot me when I caught up with him on the balcony, but he didn't and I was OK. One thing I realised, one cannot do it alone. It is so important to find someone to go see on a professional basis, someone to debrief you properly, to listen to you and to help you deal with your situation. It really helped me. I tried for 3 weeks before I was prepared to see someone. I tried to be brave, but you know what, it didn't help. Sometimes we all need assistance and from what you've said, I think it would only benefit you to find someone who can help you out. Your boyfriend is right and I think he obviously really loves you to be so concerned. Stop being so hard on yourself and rather try to find someone who can help you heal. You deserve a break!

Reply to Concerned