Question
Posted by: Stromtrooper | 2004/11/16

transversus abdominus and cardio against gaining muscle mass.

lease can you provide me with the site with transversus abdominus exercises. I do the cat stretch and hold it for 5 secs each time with about 20 reps, 3 sets. Also do the 4 point kneel.
Would doing the bridge exercise strengthen my tranverse abdominus.

I want to have a fitter body in terms of my cardio system because there are so many health benefits. Surely it would also benefit my weight training because I would be able to pump more blood to my muscles faster and easier and because there would be increased capillarisation to the muscles??
But from reports I've read, doing cardio and strength traiing together hampers one's results at building muscle mass and gaining strength. I am skinny and I hate it and am desperate to put on muscle mass. I look like a skeleton in my clothes.
Should I do cardio or not? Do I do the cardio before or after the weight training if I'm trying to put on weight?

Thank you very much. I beleieve I ask interesting questions. Am I right? Ciao.

The bridge exercise on the ball is very good, provided you focus on maintaining the tension of the transverse. Remember that the TA is a muscle that is involved in stability and posture, and so even little things like sitting upright and being consciously aware of it will help. In otherwords, always make sure that your posture is correct, no matter what exercise you are doing, and TA benefits.

In terms of other exercises, check out the following site:
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/matriarch/OnePiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_79_A_PageName_E_ArticleBoyleAreYouDown

For your final question, it is a good question to ask. I don't believe that you have to put all your eggs into one basket, so to speak and focus hugely on either cardio or weight training. Having said that, you have limited time and limited resources (energy and physical), and so you certainly can't just do each equally. Probably the main reason why people say you can't do both is because when trying to get fit and build, it becomes too energy consuming and time consuming. Therefore, it certainly is a good idea to lean one way or the other. It sounds as though your goal is really bulking up - in this case, the focus of the training, making up about 70% of it, should be weight training. Cardio is important though, and my advice is that you should use your warmups very cleverly to get your cardio in. For example, on a day in which you aim to do a leg weight training session, spend about 10 to 15 minutes doing warmup on the bike, jogging, and running faster. If you build this up, perhaps you can ultimately do a 20 minute warmup - that is not too long that it drains you or takes anything away from weight training but it's long enough to see the benefits cardiovascularly. Add in a very easy 10 minutes jog or cycle to finish, and you have 30 minutes of cardio, which is the recommendation anyway.

I hope this helps, good luck with the training.