Question
Posted by: Sherry | 2006/04/13

Transvaginal ultrasound, advice please

Hi Doc, i've been suffering from pelvic pain for the past 2 yrs. The pain is on my right lower pelvic area. It used to come & go but now its there forever. During sex the pain becomes worse and will stay there for two weeks until it becomes better. Its deep within not at the entrance. I went to see different Gynaes, GP & i was send to a surgeon but they can't find anything. 1 1/2 years ago i went for a laporoscopy & it didn't show anything.

I don't want to go for a laporoscopy again for nothing, now i just read about the TRANSVAGINAL Ultrasound on the internet, how good is this & will it show lesions of endometriosis?

This pain is making me miserable Doc, i can't live like this or take pain killers almost everyday. It affects my right leg as i feel it on my right hip & down the thigh. Please help me.

The transvaginal ultrasound is less accurate than a laparoscopy for picking up endometriosis. If the laparoscopy was negative, you may need to consider non-gynaecological problems such as irritable bowel syndrome.