Question
Posted by: Dawie | 2005/06/28

Transmission

Hullo Doc,

I've been reading your forum for some time and I must say you are doing a wonderful job. I've been reading with interest certain questions being posed regarding the transmission of HIV and then I got the worries when I read that HIV can be transmitted through the eye.

I live on a farm and one day, one of the relative's of a staff member of mine was brushing his teeth, he had just rinsed his tooth brush and shook it to get the water off when a sprinkle got into my eye. Furthermore, I had just rubbed my eye about 10 minutes earlier and there was a burning sensation. My concern is what if there was blood on his toothbrush when he shook it even though it was rinsed and I was about two metres away, can HIV be transmitted this way?

Dawie, there isn’t enough blood on a tooth brush (remember is it mixed with tooth paste and water) for HIV to be spread that way. Good luck.