Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2006/10/24

Transient Global Amnesia

I am a migraine sufferer and have recently had two TGA attacks. What medication would you recommend. I was on a medication used for treating epilepsy but the side effects were far too harsh and at the moment I am only taking my blood pressure medication. Coversyl Plus. I am a 54yr old female. I have seen a Neurologist and had a MRI and MRA, still there are no answers. Can you advise.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Sandra,

If you are a migraine sufferer, then your Transient Global Amnesia is most likely related to the migraine. There are numerous neurological manifestation that may affect migraineurs, and this is possibly one of them. When the migraine is successfully treated, the TGA no longer occurs. The correct approach to your migraine is to find out the underlying cause/s. If you have seen a neurologist and have had normal brain scans, then at least you can rest assured that there is no neurological problem. This does not mean, however, that there is no problem. Most migraine sufferers are given a clean bill of neurological health, as the source of the pain is seldom the brain. The cause of your migraine must be sought elsewhere.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.