Posted by: Valerie | 2010/10/10

Transgender where to find medical advice &  help in BFN

I have wanted to be a woman since the age of 13 but due to family pressure I did nothing about this desire. At the age of 42 I now feel that I want to exlore this side of my life that for so long has been denied, however I do not know where to go or who to see to get advice and support. I did once consult a psychitrist who informed me that he could not support my request as it was against his personal beliefs but that he would not stand in my way (Nov 2009). Just as I want my feels to be respected so must I respect his. I never went back to see him, but am to ashamed to seek other medical advice in case I experience the same situation.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTransgender advisor


I understand your frustration and fear of approaching yet another doctor and getting a similar response. Unfortunately in all the years I and my colleagues have been working in the transgender sector we have still to find a doctor in the Bloemfontein area that has experience or is sympathetic towards assisting transgender people.

The best I can do is provide you with contact details of some doctors in Johannesburg who would be able to assist you. I will email you directly on your email address with the details.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/22

Hi, I am looking for surgeons who do breast removal for FtM transgender males. Can anyone please provide me with some names and contact details? We live in Durban, but would like to contact a few surgeons for options. Thanks D

Reply to Anonymous
Posted by: Danciah | 2010/10/26

Please help me find way out for my sister. My country is hopless we have kept a secret since birth and now she''s 29 &  can''t bare the pain of being in this condition as coming out risk society rejection. Were &  how can we find help?

Reply to Danciah

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.