Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/06/10

Trampoline

I''m 38 and overweight from a combination of bad diet and anti-depression meds. I''m trying to fix my diet. Most of my exercise is on horseback for a couple of hours a week, but that''s not enough. I can''t run because of knee problems and I hate gyms. Also don''t have time to go to one. Is trampolining good exercise? We''re thinking of buying one for my daughter and I could also use it.

Hi Maria

The use of a trampoline for fitness and weight loss is a topic that came up recently in another question as well, and I'll stick by my answer to that one, which is that I am not convinced that trampolining alone will offer a very effective form of cardio training to become fit or to lose weight. I believe that the intensity that you get from trampolining is very difficult to raise to the sorts of levels you could easily to in running, cycling etc. and for that reason, I don't believe it is as effective a weight loss or fitness tool as these activities.

HOwever, I do think that you should consider making trampolining PART of, rather than the the focus of training. One of the benefits is actually that the loading on the joints is LOWER than for something than running, so that's actually a good thing.

If you do decide this, then I would suggest that you check out the fitness page of the site, then click on programmes and then choose any of these as you see fit.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/06/13

Hi Maria

Reply to fitnessdoc