Question
Posted by: kluk | 2008/01/30

Trampoline

hi!

I've been looking for a new way to get my cardio done, because I can no longer stand the treadmill and bike! I've heard a few good things about trampolining/rebounding as a effective cardio workout, as well as having other benefits such as improved lymphatic funtion. Is it a good workout and are there the same advantages as other cardio?

Hi Kluk

The use of a trampoline for fitness and weight loss is a topic that came up recently in another question as well, and I'll stick by my answer to that one, which is that I am not convinced that trampolining alone will offer a very effective form of cardio training to become fit or to lose weight. I believe that the intensity that you get from trampolining is very difficult to raise to the sorts of levels you could easily to in running, cycling etc. and for that reason, I don't believe it is as effective a weight loss or fitness tool as these activities. Having said that, I do believe that trampolining could be part of a well balanced exercise routine, because it offers basically no impact and certain exercises that are good for balance, flexibility and to a lesser extent fitness. HOwever, I do think that you should consider making trampolining PART of, rather than the the focus of training. One of the benefits is actually that the loading on the joints is LOWER than for something than running, so that's actually a good thing.

And then fro the sounds of your question, it seems that the monotony of training also got the better of you - hopefully a mix of trampoline, with running and cycling (because you don't want to throw them out altogether) will help prevent this.

If you do decide this, then I would suggest that you check out the fitness page of the site, then click on programmes and then choose any of these as you see fit.