Question
Posted by: Liesl | 2004/11/01

Trains and Dogs

In our town (Grahamstown) the train runs through the whole town each day. Why do the dogs go crazy at the sound of the train comming through town?

Just curious

Liesl

Hi Liesl
The short answer is: Because they can!
Dogs have much better hearing than humans and therefore can hear trains coming from a great distance away. They may associate the noise of the train with the arrival of something or someone or just be responding to the noise like many dogs respond to other dogs howling in the distance.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: tjoekie | 2004/11/03

I think it's because the sound for the dogs are much louder than 4 us humans!

Reply to tjoekie
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/01

Because it's their JOB to chase the trains away.

Here in town we don't have trains, but my dog (successfully!) chases the dustmen away every week.

He knows there'd be trouble if he didn't....

Reply to Chill