Question
Posted by: Jess | 2007/05/07

Training shoes

Am new to running and bought a pair of Asics that are killing my left big toe. The salesman recommended a padded shoes cause I pronate. My big toe's nail is now blue after two road runs. Previously I run in a old pair of Nike Pegasus. I bought the Asics, ran once with them and then returned them for a bigger size. Ran in the second new pair on Saturday and now even with the bigger size, my toe is in excrutiating pain when running. Should I return the shoe (if they'll take it back) or "walk them in"? How do runners usually purchase shoes? Trial and error? This is quite an expensive exercise! Thanks

Hi Jess

Usually, a black toenail is the result of one of two things - the shoes are either too big or too small. If they're too big, then your foot will slide forward, your big toe making contact against the front of the shoe, like a head on collision every step you take. If they're too small,well, I guess that's fairly obvious. So perhaps you are actually in need of a smaller, not a larger shoe.

Also, a new shoe is much stiffer than the old pair and so it 'gives' far less, and for this reason, it may be wise to spend a week or two walking the shoe before you go running in them. Not that you shouldn't be able to run in a new pair, just not the same distances. But I really think that the size is the factor here, that black toenail is really common. one other thing is to make sure the shoe is not too narrow for your foot - maybe a wider forefoot is called for.

Ross