Question
Posted by: Francois | 2007/02/27

Training schedule: ok or too much?

Hi Doc,

I know a lot has been said about overtraining, but I would just like to know:

I have been training for a couple of months.

I am 1.79m and my starting weight was 118Kg's.

I am now at 100Kg's.

I currently work out 5 times a week (Mon-Fri) and do about 40 min of weights followed by 80 - 120 min (depending on how sore my knee gets from rowing or if my bum goes too numb) of cardio (split halfway between rowing and cycling).

I follow a "weight loss" weights program that I found on the usn website.

I have a heart rate monitor that I wear during my cardio session, and I generally burn between 1400 calories (on the 80min's) and 2000 calories (on the 2hr's).

Am I doing too much?

I am "listening" to my body as you have said, but cannot perceive anything more than the usual after-gym feel.
I have more energy and generally feel good.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Francois

As I'm sure you have probably heard or read, overtraining is a big thing and I think that often, people are training too much rather than not enough. The unfortunate side effect of all the attention on overtrainign is that people often wonder if they are overtraining when a few years ago, no one would have given it any thought! But perhaps that is a good thing after all.

In your case, the overall training volume is certainly very high - as I work it out, the minimum training time per day is about 2 hours, which is probably about 90 minutes more than most people. And you do it 5 times a week which is often. But I think in your favour, you've probably managed to keep the intensity quite low and you have a good deal of variety in the training, and this helps keep the enthusiasm and the overall physical load lower. now the key is the symptoms. The following are signs and symptoms of overtraining:

Failure to meet training goals
Heavy legs
Lack of sleep
Mid-afternoon energy lull
Excessive thirst
Persistent niggles, aches and pains

So if you are feeling these, then I would suggest you back off. But if you are not, then by all means keep going. Just be aware that you do need rest days and you do need rest WEEKS, where you back right off the training. So what I would do is train like this for 3 weeks, then take 1 week of much easier training (3 days a week, 60 minutes each), and then start again. Even if you feel great, still do this, because it's a prevention thing.

HOpe this helps and keep it up, and listen to your body.

Ross

1
Posted by: wow | 2007/02/27

wow .. i wish i could train like that !! good job !

Reply to wow