Question
Posted by: anon | 2005/12/09

Training hard, but not performing - oldtimer

My dad and I rode the 94.7 this year.
Although my ol man is close to 60, we did an ok-ish time of 3h47.
However, i hardly trained ( i have youth and first league squash on my side, and feel i have a knack for endurance sports)
The same goes with my dad. Hes old school, and having done umteen comrades runs some years ago, hes taken to cycling as so many have being a sport that has less damaging long term effects. He really trained hard, but struggled on race day. The thing is i dont beleive hes eating correctly or using the correct suppliments. What should he be using for training and race day for a guy of his age. Is creatine ok to use in small amounts? He trained so hard one weekend he was useless, tired and could hardly do a thing. This worries us all, as him and his old mates are quite competitive on the road. What should he be doing to help his recovery and boost his energy.
Thanks ...ill listen on the radio.

There is so much that can go wrong, actually, that it's sometimes a real achievement when things go right! The difficult part of training is that you have to find a balance between training just the right amount and training too much or too hard. This becomes a problem for anyone except pro athletes, because most of us have regular activities to do - we can't just take an afternoon off and sleep off the training that we did a few hours earlier. So I suspect that your dad was probably overtrained. Most likely, what has happened here is that he knew the race was coming up, he increased his training, perhaps too soon, and then rode either too hard during these rides, or else just rode too often not allowing the body time to recover. As a result, his body fought and fought to keep him going, but eventually, it just gave up and he ran out of energy. The cost of training hard is really high, I don't think we realise, physically and mentally, what it involves, and so when you train hard, it's vital to rest well in between, to take a week of easy riding for every 2 weeks of hard riding, and of course, to eat well on top of this. If you don't do this, you get overtrained and performance suffers.

I don't believe that creatine will help at all, it will only cause problems and other supplements are also not needed provided he is eating OK. But it's the training that's the key, I believe.

Lastly, I hope that you get this - I'm not sure about the radio idea, I wish I was able to speak on the radio and take questions, but at the moment it is just the internet!

REgards

2
Posted by: Ross Tucker (Fitness doc) | 2005/12/10

I don't think that supplements are needed in 99% of the population. I think that for what we (and I include myself in this category) do training-wise, we can eat a proper diet and get more than enough energy and important nutrients to sustain that training. In some people, those who are training professionally or who are undernourished and still trying to train, supplements become more important. So if you are in any doubt about diet, then a supplement like a multivitamin may help. If the diet is exceptionally low in protein, perhaps a strict vegetarian for example, then a protein shake may be helpful and finally, if you are training incredibly hard, then i would also concede that a protein diet may be beneficial. But not more than this, I believe it's more of a waste of money than anything else.

Fitness Doc

Reply to Ross Tucker (Fitness doc)
Posted by: anon | 2005/12/09

thanks very much...i suspected the over training too. When should one use supplements? if at all. Im hearing a lot of sports people say nutrition and suppliments are as important as the training itself!?

Reply to anon