Question
Posted by: Judith | 2008/01/16

Training effective??

My husband and I train together. He is skinny and trying to build muscle and I am a little overweight trying to loose weight and tone up. I do 15-20 min cardio and follow with weight training 5 days a week, the 6th day I only do cardio. Would my training programme be effective for losing the weight I need to? My husband does not do as much cardio as I do and obviously lifts heavier than I do. Please advice if I would effectively loose the weight????

Hi Judith

I hope so - there are so many factors affecting this that it's not really my place to say yes or no to your question. For example, diet is critical. You can train all you want, but if youdon't adjust diet then you won't see progress.

I think that you might consider increasing the cardio a little - 20 minutes is very short. And while the weight training is great, I do believe that more cardio will help, especially early on in the programme. So I'd say that at least 2, maybe 3 times a week, you should look at doing about 35 to 45 minutes of cardio, rather than 20 followed by weights.

Other than that, just make sure about the diet and I think over time, it should help.

Good lukc