Question
Posted by: rykie | 2008/01/05

training after 6 broken bones

i broke my femur&tibia in total of 6 places about 2 years ago doing the dakar. I am walking suprisinly well with a very slight limp.

I am stuck in a bush camp for the next 8 months. I have stopped drinking totally. I have started to change my diet. It is difficult but i'm sure i'm on the right path. (i think??)

I have been jogging between 2-4km since the 1/1/08 everyday
I have being spinning on a bike i bought to camp between about 15-25min everyday. I am doing about 30-50 push up's and sit up's a day.

My energy levels fluctuate quite a bit, how do i stop that?
I don't have a gym here, what else can i do to get back in shape.

Hi Rykie

Well, you have an interesting story, that's for sure! You are on the right track, in as far as you've changed diet and drinking habits, which is a big part of the process. I'm assuming you're focused on losing a bit of weight as a key goal?

If so, then the jogging is also the way to go, even given your various broken bones. You just have to be more careful than most, because of the possibility that your injuries have affected balance. Staying injury free is all about balance - left and right, front and back and so forth. You have to remain balanced in order to control how the load gets put on the muscles and joints when you do exercise.

So it is important that you take care developing the length of these runs. You never go, for example, from 2 km to 6 km in one go. Rather spend a week at 2km, then a week at 2.2km (only about 2 minutes longer), then a week at 2.4km and so forth. You'll likely be frustrated, but it is worth it in the longer run (figuratively and literally)

As for the spinning, I think that's a really good form of exercise, especially for your joints. If you ever feel any aches or pains from running, spend three or four days off the running and spin instead. Same benefit, more variety, lower risk of injury!

And then finally, for the energy levels, that is likely diet. You should aim to eat 5 meals a day, minimum, with snacks of fruit in between if possible. often, people will have a lull later in the day, mid-afternoon, because they haven't eaten anything since breakfast. So it's important that you keep eating during the day, and not junk food. Rather go for fruits if possible, and you should avoid that energy lull.

Good luck!