Question
Posted by: Q-man | 2007/03/07

Training acid reflux

Most times when I train/gym, I get someting that I can only describe a hardburn. This occurs when I am training realty hard and it becomes worse during the workout. It progresses to become a feeling of having a lump in my throught. Drinking water does not help it only seems to make it worse. This has been going on as long as I can remember. I have resorted to taking a rennie before workouts.It does get rid of the symptom but... Should I be worried?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Q-man
There can be a number of reasons;

With exercise you can increase intra-abdominal pressure causing the pressure to build up in the abdomen. If you have a loose lower oesophagus, or hiatus hernia, then this increased pressure can causse food and fluid back up. This may improve with loss of weight. But also not to eat for at least 4 hours before exercise (eg do it in the AM after an evenings sleep)

However, it could also be from a heart origin especially if you get pain in the left arm as well.
get your GP to check it out.
DR P