Question
Posted by: scared | 2006/04/01

toxocara canis

hi, i know this sounds silly but toxocara canis scares me, i know that it is extremly rare to occur but pehaps if you can answer a few questions my mind would be set at ease.

if infectious eggs are ingested what is the likely hood of any illness occuring?

are infectious eggs found in feces?

Can the eggs survive well in the enviroment , or are very specfic conditons required for them to develop?

Dear Scared
Your chances of getting infected if you get the eggs in is high.
Infected eggs are found in feces.

Toxocariasis is sometimes called visceral larva migrans (VLM) because the larval form of the organism hatches inside the intestines and migrates throughout the body to other organs (viscera). The disease is caused by Toxocara canis and T. cati, which live within the intestines of dogs and cats. Most human patients are children between the ages of two and four years, who become infected after playing in sandboxes or soil contaminated by pet feces, although adults are also susceptible. The eggs can survive in soil for as long as seven years.