Question
Posted by: Grunter | 2004/02/25

Tourettes Management

I have been diagnosed with Tourettes Syndrome. Currently I have extra stress factors in my life which make the Tourettes symptoms exceptionally difficult to manage (Blinking, grunting, snorting and throat clearing). This is now having an impact on my interaction with people both socially and at work. Would it be beneficial to take some form of medication to assist me with my problem? I have previously been on Cipramil, which did seem to help.

Dear Grunter,
I'm amazed that whoever made the diagnosis didn't advise poperly on treatment. I'm not aware of the effects of Cipramil on Tourettes, though if there is an element of depression and anxiety making the Tourettes worse, it could help. You need to see a neurologist who can confirm the diagnosis ( that's the easy part !) and advice on treatment --- some of the antipsychotic drugs like haloperidol seem to help some folks with Tourettes considerably, as can drugs such as Clonidine and Pimozide ; and your neurologist should know of the latest research.

2
Posted by: Sue | 2004/02/26

I have personal experience that sufficient antidepressants are
amazingly effective for Touretters

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Investigator | 2004/02/26

Why not have a look at the subject of neurofeedback. Search for "neurofeedback" on Google and also on Amazon.com.

There is quite a lot of material that suggests that neurofeedback can help with the management of Tourette's syndrome without drugs.

Reply to Investigator