Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2007/12/18

tougue problem

hi cyberdoc

My medical query doesn't seem drastic but it has persisted for over a month and and i am now worried. i had a sore throat, everytime i swollowed it was painful. there was some coughing and a yellowish furry stuff on my tongue. I went to a GP who wasn't sure wht it was but put me on anitbiotics (axo..il). t eased but the stuff on my tongue remained. I thought it could be sexually related (did have unprotected roal sex on a man once) - gynae didn't recognise it as anything and have me 5 white pills to take at once. didn't change anything. Then i went to another doctor and she said it looked like oral thush and gave me drops to put on twice a day. (and told me to eat lots of fuit and veg). 3 days later is still persistts...
I cannot afford to see any more doctors!! could you please advise. (it is not sore just a dry tough that is covered in something that looks like what you get with a bad cold)

pleae help
thanx
Lucy

Dear Lucy
This may be an overgrowth of bacteria causing a "furry tongue". One usually have to take antifungal drops or something like Daktarin oral jel for at least 10 days - 3 days is too short to decide that it is not working. Also try rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash like Betadine oral antiseptic if you are not allergic to Iodene.