Question
Posted by: curious | 2008/01/09

total cholesterol

Hi there,

I was just wondering how Dr's calculate total cholesterol. The reason I am asking is that my HDL + LDL + triglycerides do not add up to what my total cholesterol is...please help! i cannot find this information anywhere on the internet!

thankyou

Dear Curious
Total cholesterol is the reading of HDL, LDL and VLDL cholesterol measured chemically and you can't work it out by adding the figures as it is determined as a value per ml blood. This needs to be checked by a blood test ( it should actually be included on your test result?)
Also see www.medhelp.org/general/hdl-ldl.htm