Question
Posted by: j-cat456 | 2006/07/21

torture - cant get over it

Hey CS,
I have been crying the whole day about the mouse that was set on fire by those kids. Just can't stop...it's been a really down week anyway..and now this is just kind of stuck in my mind. I don't want to live in a world where children do that and laugh about it. And even film it so they can see it over and over
I work as a wildlife rehabber, so know that mice are low on the food chain. And very often, we have to feed mice to young predators, and have to kill them just before feeding so they are still warm. But we do it quickly, by breaking their necks in a certain way, which is instantaneous, and those of us who do it, many people choose not to, always pray with the mouse first..not that the mouse appreciates it, but it is done with respect and dignity.
And quite a few of the cases that are brought to us involve wanton cruelty. School children playing rugby with a dikkop - had to be euthanased, with both wings and legs shattered. construction workers playing basketball with a plover - after deliberately breaking its wings so it couldn't get away..Birds and animals that are stoned or shot with pellet guns or darts.
I've been battling with dead or dying animals all year, I am haunted by some of the ones that die no matter what we do for them. And I keep on committing the rehabber's cardinal sin...becoming too emotionally involved with some of our cases, and then feeling like I have failed when we can't help them enough.
But this one has really hit me ....what sort of upbringing have those kids had that would allow them to even think of torturing an animal, never mind going and buying it for that purpose. What sort of world is it going to be when it is managed by people like that.
There's this one place where I intend going if/when it gets to the end, a nice peaceful out of the way spot, where I can do the deed without interrupion. Went today and just sat there for a while crying. Doesn't help...I can still envisage that mouse in flames...

Hi j-cat,
Yes, that was a horrible and despicable act by these young savages. But don't allow yourself to become so deeply affected that you cry all day --- that doesn't help this mouse or any others. There have always been savagely cruel children, and, sadly, probably always will be. IN earlier days they'd do such things in private, and didn't have foolish parents wasting money giving them lavish cell-phones with a needless video capacity to record their filthy behaviour, so maybe more such acts were not discovered.
I hope the parents and the system do wake up over this. Such behaviour among children, specifically cruelty towards animals, is a very reliable pointer towards an Antisocial Personality Disorder, and someone who as they grow up will remain psychopathic and cruel in their behaviour towards others. So these loathsome kids will need to be closely watched for the future.
You can be propud of the very good work you do in rehab. Work with a counsellor, perhaps, to avoid becoming too emotionally involved --- simply because doing so is unpleasant for you and unhelpful to the creatures that need you.
And don't plan to "do the deed" at all. People need you, and the creatures need you. Who else will pray for the mice ?

4
Posted by: elmarie | 2006/07/23

j-cat456
Believe me I understand how this gets to you. I thought i was sent from space! because I hadnt come across another human being that cared so much for every single animal on our planet..as much as I did.
I can relate to your continuous thoughts on this devastating incident as I too go through these emotions when I see or hear about cruelty to a defenseless gift from God.

I am no bible pusher but just very spiritual. I feel u are a mirror image of my extremely compansionate self. We tend to expect ourselves to help/stop/solve anything to do with an animal in danger etc. J-cat ..we cant and its not expected of us either.
When i am faced with such a traumatic situation I simply close my eyes and ask my God to place that defenseless/injured/sick animal in his white light of protection.
Sending you blessings....and asking that you too be placed in white light to help you cope with your emotions.

Reply to elmarie
Posted by: OldSchool | 2006/07/22

Wow j-cat

I hadn't actualy read / heard about that, one of the reasons I don't watch any usual commercial media. I am a fierce lover of animals and your words certainly had the tears rolling down my cheeks.

Cybershrink & the others are right though. The world needs people like you in it. The more people like you there are around, telling stories like this, the less nasties there will be out there.

Please keep your chin up - I know it is difficult but there are lots of little furry & feathery creatures out there that would be alot worse off without you! i know I don't know you from a bar of soap but I feel your pain. So here is another big cyberhug for you aswell.

Reply to OldSchool
Posted by: SbN | 2006/07/21

Must be extremely rewarding job, but also extremely sad somedays. Wish I could give you a medal or something. I think sometimes animals are more human than humans are. Would other animals do stuff like this?

Reply to SbN
Posted by: M | 2006/07/21

Hey J-Cat, I admire you for working as a wildlife rehaber, it must be heartbreaking to see how cruel people can be to innocent helpless voiceless animals and birds. I too was very shocked and disturbed when I heard the incident over the radio. Just focus on all those birds and animals you did help and save or put out of their misery. Without caring people like you, am sure if they could speak, they would thank you in appreciation for all you do.

Your life is far more important, and you have so much in your future, to think of just ending it. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now.

Remember following your posts about your Dr changing your meds. If you are not feeling better, speak to him about it.

I'm sending you a huge cyber hug ((((((HUG))))))))

Just want to share something with you.

A couple of years ago, we have almost daily, injured birds, all sizes and shapes, some I have never seen before. Had to look in my bird book to try and identify them. They all had something in common, injured wings, legs, bleeding etc. My son helped me catch them and put them in a box and take them off to our vet. Didn't know what else to do, they were frightened but almost seemed to connect at a soul level and allowed us to handle them, they must have known we would do them no harm. I thought my old cross german shepherd/labrador was injuring them.....until we discovered the culprit/s. We had new neighbours from hell, who owned 6 cats and they were coming into my property. I have a bird feeder and they would stalk and catch the birds. Must add they were not all common pigeons or indian minors. Then it all stopped, since about a year ago, have not found an injured bird. Rather strange. The neighbours are still here, don't know if they still own the cats but have not found any more injured birds.

Reply to M