Posted by: Anita | 2010/04/30

Torn Supraspinatus Tendon

I would really appreciate your help.
In June of 2008, while sandboarding I fell on my arm. I was diagnosed with a SLAP tear and specialist started off with conservative treatment of steriod injections into the shoulder. I had 4 injections, however as the tear would start healing, it would tear again.
The specialist then decided that conservative treatment was not working and I was scheduled for surgery in March 2009. I had a arthroscopic debridement. Finally the pain was gone.
On the 19th of April 2010, I had a 2m projector screen dislodge from the celiling and fell on my arm, wrist and fingers. I saw my GP and he put me in a splint for the damage to the arm, wrist and thumb. I was given 10 days supply of anti-inflamatories and pain medication.
I went back to see him on the 21st of April as I had tremendous pain. I was sent for a sonar of the shoulder (the same shoulder that was operated on earlier). It was picked up that I have a 7mm tear of the supraspinatus tendon.
I have made an appointment to see my specialist, however the first available appointment is the 17th of May. I am in tremendous pain, and would like to know what I can do to reduce my pain levels.
Thanks a million.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Anita,

If you have a torn supraspinatus tendon you should see a specialist sooner. Surely there will be one who will not let you wait that long? In our practice we will always make provision for emergencies - which area are you in, are there no other specialists who would be willing to help you?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anita | 2010/05/03

Thanks for replying.
My GP made the appointment for me and that was the first available appointment with Dr Thys de Beer. My GP believes that I should see the same specialist that operated me as he operated on me previously.
I live in the East Rand, but Dr de Beer consults in the Pretoria region.

Reply to Anita

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.