Question
Posted by: Sore knee | 2007/02/19

Torn meniscus

Hello. I'm a young active male. I have torn my meniscus about 18 months ago. Have this mechanical clicking sound which is limiting my activities a lot. For example, spinning is causing inflamation. When I rest my knee, it gets better, only until I do vigirous exercise again. Should I go for an operation? Are there specific exercises one can do to better this condition? Thanks in advance!

Expert ImageArchive

Dear sore knee

My first bit of advise is that you need to see a orthopedic surgen or knee specialist as he/she will need to examine your knee to assess the extent of the tear you have. He/she will then advise either a surgical route or a conservative one. If he prescribes the surgical route you will need to rehabilitate the knee afterwards with he help of a physiotherapist and then a biokineticist. I conservative rehabilitation is recommended, it will consist mainly of controlling the inflammation and pain using RICE (which stands for rest, ice, compression and elevation), as well as incorporating exercises to maintain the strength of your quads, hamstrings and hips in addition to flexibility and proprioception.

I wish you all the best for your recovery.