Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2004/12/15

Torn Hamstring Ligament

I either tore or severy overstretched my hamstring ligament about a year ago, realised what happened, had physoitherapy and therapeutic exercises, but the ligament is still giving me trouble. I do yoga on a regular basis (twice a wekk) so I do get to stretch the ligament and muscle, but am very wary of overstretching in case I injure it again. Is there any other way of speeding up the healing process? I've read about prolotherapy, is this available in SA and what are your thoughts about this?

HI Sandra

A lot depends on where the hamstring tear occurred. I see that you have torn the ligament, so presumably it right near the origin, high up? If this is the case, it can take very long, because even when you are just standing, the muscle helps with stability, so it is one of those injuries that is very difficult to give complete rest. For that reason, it can take 9 to 12 months to heal properly.

Yoga will help though, and you are quite correct that you do need to be very careful about excessive stretching. I would suggest that the most important thing is trying to regain the stability and the control of the muscle. This involves doing rehab exercises like balancing on one leg on one of the physiotherapy mats (called hedgehogs, you may be familiar with them). I am not sure what your physiotherapy and rehab involved, but I would certainly suggest that you continue with them, or go back and get a new outlook and some exercises.

The final type of rehab that is very good is swimming - I would be surprised if this had not been mentioned somewhere along the line, because it's non weight bearing, but you can get some great exercises done in the pool, and so I would go to a physio for this as well.