Question
Posted by: Woody | 2004/10/04

Torn calf muscle

I'm a regular, 46 year old runner, having done the last 3 Comrades Marathons. 3 weeks ago while on an easy run I pulled up suddenly with what I thought was a cramp in my left calf. After 'limping' home the pain refused to subside, I tried walking the following day, but the moment I tried to push of on the left leg the pain was INTENSE, now some 3 weeks later, and no running...help ;-) ... my calf seems to be okay, but I now have lower back pain if I sit for any length of time which results in me battling to move my legs. I did twist my back the day before this years comrades and felt a slight niggle that same evening, ran and fished comrades with a great run... here comes the but... but I think the twist has resulted in me changing my gait and hence the calf problem and leg numbness...

Whew what a story ;-) any advice would be appreciated
Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Woody

A nice reflex to release the calf.
From your belly button go up and out 45 degree. You will find a very tender point which you need to rub for about a minute.
Next you rub the corresponding point on your back.

Between the two this should release your calf, and with the calf easier, your back will let go too.

Douglas

1
Posted by: Nutz | 2004/11/05

I have been diagnosed with a torn calf muscle by my doctor. I have had it now for 2 weeks and although it has eased considerably i do find i still get stabbing pains at times when i walk. I do seem to walk with comfort when i put a support in the heel of my shoe but when walking in bare feet on the flat of my foot i still experience pain in the calf. Do you have any advice on how i could help to repair this injury?

Reply to Nutz