Question
Posted by: tracey | 2004/02/10

Tooth abscess

My 4 year old daughter was in surgery 5 months ago to have fillings in 16 of her teeth.
The end of Dec she had a high fever and severe toothache. The dentist said she had an abscess and she was put on a course of antibiotics. Jan 27th she was back in theatre to clear the abscess and fill the hole in one of her teeth. Last night she had a high fever and sever toothache on a different tooth. Why is she prone to abscesses? And what causes them? What would be my next step of action?

Tracey, it might be just bad luck, but to have 16 bad teeth at the age of 4, seems to suggest that something else is the matter. My advice would be to take her to a good paediatrician and make sure that everything is OK. Good luck.